Please feel free to link to this blog or use the handy e-mail tool at the end of each post. However, all contents of this page are copyrighted by Cindi Huss. Reproduction in whole or part without written permission from the author (Cindi) is prohibited. This includes all images unless otherwise noted.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Back in the saddle--mostly!

The studio is nearly unpacked--I can now imagine what it'll look like once the boxes and extraneous furniture are gone.

I have missed my fabric and find myself caressing favorite tools and materials as I put them away. Ah, the secret life of quilters!

So, since I have a deadline looming and a commission I should be working on (and because I NEED TO WORK!!!), I played hookie from unpacking and spent a couple days working.

Did a few very small painted studies (including these two):





(clearly haven't made it out of my color rut yet--
so I've decided to embrace it)

And made some faux nuno, including this piece:


Now that I have the new process down, I'm making a felted piece for a new work--woo-hoo! Never thought I'd resent a long weekend. (Well, not really. Or . . . well, only a little. :-P )

I'll end on a note of apology: A great many people made our last days and weeks in Massachusetts memorable and smooth and uplifting and wonderful, and I really haven't mentioned that--or them individually. Everything just caught up with me at once and I had to let it go to remain sane.

I hope I did manage to thank you all in person, but if I missed you in the blur and rush please accept my apology and know I appreciated everything you did for me and for my family. You all rock and we are tremendously blessed.

4 comments:

C. Olson said...

Your studies are little jewels. Please consider doing more with them. Ma

Cindi said...

Thanks! They're great fun and a manageable size (about 6" x 6"). I'm working on a large (45" x 45" or so) work based on the new-mown hay study and am very excited about it.

Just had to get back amid vast, flat Midwestern landscapes to get all inspired--who'd'a' thunk?!

C. Olson said...

Mat & frame them. They are nearly miniatures. If you want to - if you can bear to do it - mat your painting so that the part that shows is no larger than either 4" x 6" or 5" x 7." Then they will conform to the standards of most miniature art societies. On the other hand, who cares about conforming. Frame your 6" x 6" pieces, put a price on them, and people will love them no less.

Cindi said...

First I have to flatten them. They're a little curly just now.

I did them to play with my watercolor pencils and because they were small things that I could do fairly quickly amid the hustle and bustle of unpacking. I didn't expect to like them so much, but now that I know I get along well with watercolor pencils I'll take the precaution of taping my edges in the future.