Please feel free to link to this blog or use the handy e-mail tool at the end of each post. However, all contents of this page are copyrighted by Cindi Huss. Reproduction in whole or part without written permission from the author (Cindi) is prohibited. This includes all images unless otherwise noted.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Unauthorized Substance Tax--Hmmmmm

So since I'm new to Tennessee I was researching the various means of filing the various taxes I have to pay here and among the list of taxes I could read about was:


You can imagine how that might pique one's curiosity, so I clicked on the link and found out that taxable items in this category include:
  • Marijuana
  • Cocaine
  • Crack
  • Methamphetamine
  • Untaxed liquors and spirits (AKA moonshine)
Seriously!

So you can order tax stamps anonymously to put them on your packages of illicit drugs and alcohol so that when you're arrested they can only charge you with possession and sale, not tax evasion.

The information says that paying the tax does NOT make it legal to possess these goods. Duh!

Who owes the tax? Dealers, specifically defined as "any person who possesses one or more marijuana plants or more than 42.5 (not 42 or 43) grams of marijuana, seven or more grams of any other unauthorized substance that is sold by weight, or any illicit alcoholic beverage."

If I think about it, now the songs about revenue or excise men make more sense, but really? Anyhow, found it interesting, ridiculous, and, due to my fairly prudish past, unusual, so thought I'd share. Really has nothing to do with dancing or threads, but this is my News of the Weird of the day.

No comments: